Wild Green and Cheese Scones
Don’t let the wild green bit of this recipe put you off. While chives, steamed nettles, dandelion greens, spinach or broccoli can all be added to these with amazing effect, underneath is just a really great recipe for cheese scones.
This are a bit wetter than normal scone recipes, so I frequently bake them in a muffin tray to avoid rolling them out.
Wild Green and Cheese Scones:
150g sharp cheddar – grated
230g plain flour
1t baking powder
½ t bicarb
½ t salt
50g of chopped wild greens (dandelion, wild chives, steamed nettles, spinach and/or wild garlic work well here, as does cooked, chopped broccoli)
125g cold butter
200g 100% hydration starter
1. Cut the cold butter into small pieces and mix with the flour, salt, bicarb and baking soda until it resembles crumbs.
2. Mix in the grated cheese and chopped greens.
3. Mix the starter and milk and add to the flour mix.
4. Mix just until everything is incorporated.
5. Roll out to about 3cm thick and cut scones.
6. Bake at 180F for 10 minutes or until brown.