Lemon Goat's Cheese (adapted from Home Cheese Making):
1 lt Whole Goats Milk (not ultra pastuerized)
4 T lemon juice (bottled lemon juice is fine)
1/4 t salt
1 T Black Pepper or Thyme (optional)
Saucepan with lid
Muslin or Cheese Cloth
1. Heat the goat's milk in the saucepan to 175-190 deg F (79-87 deg C)
2. Add lemon juice and stir thoroughly
3. Take off heat, cover and leave to sit for 15 minutes
4. If milk has not curdled, add lemon juice until it does. Add salt and stir gently
5. Pour mixture into a cheesecloth/muslin lined colander.
6. Tie up muslin to form a hammock with curds in the middle and hang over a suitable bowl or sink for up to 1.5h checking periodically until cheese reaches a nice spreadable consistency.
7. Transfer into storage or serving container. Mix with herbs if desired.
Yields: 1/2 cup cheese. Will store for 1-2 weeks in refrigerator. Can be made with cow's milk.