Everyday Sourdough: Enriched Dough for Cinnamon Rolls or Babka
Enriched dough refers to any dough that has milk and eggs in it. The additional fat in the recipe gives the dough a more cake-like consistency that works well for sweets like cinnamon rolls or babka. The recipe is the same, its just how you shape the dough that makes the difference.
170g whole milk
1 large egg
60g melted butter
360g bread flour
1. Mix all ingredients until no lumps remain.
2. Rest in a warm, covered spot for 3-4 hours, doing 3-4 stretch and folds in that time.
3. Roll out dough into a long rectangle.
4. Mix 200g of brown sugar and 1tbsp of cinnamon with 75g butter and spread all over the dough.
5. Roll up from the long edge. For cinnamon rolls, slice the roll into pieces about 5cm in length. Place in a lined pan. For babka, cut the roll in two lengthwise down the centre of the roll. Line up the two pieces and twist them around each other. Place in a lined loaf tin.
6. Refrigerate over night.
1. Bake at 180C for 35 minutes.
2. Serve with icing.